Archives: Video Games
Information and older arcticles from my original website.
Violence In Video Games
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 23:18:32 GMT
Angry: VIOLENCE IN VIDEO GAMES
LOOK, I'M 28 YEARS OLD. I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT'S REAL AND WHAT'S NOT.
IF YOU ARE A MORON WHO IS TOO STUPID TO TEACH YOUR MORONIC KIDS ANYTHING ABOUT THE REAL WORLD THEN YOU ARE JUST ASKING FOR PROBLEMS.
I AM TIRED OF LIVING IN A WORLD OF MORONS, FOR MORONS AND RULED BY MORONS. PLEASE GROW A BRAIN.
VIOLENCE IN VIDEO GAMES DOES NOT EXIST. THEY ARE JUST GAMES FOR CHRISSAKE.
I LIKE BLOOD, GUTS, GORE, BODY PARTS AND THE LIKE--BUT THAT'S JUST FANTASY.
PICTURES OF THE VIETNAM WAR ARE REAL. THAT'S VIOLENCE.
THE OKLAHOMA BOMBING A FEW MONTHS BACK WAS REAL. THAT'S VIOLENCE.
KANO RIPPING OUT SOMEONE'S HEART IN MORTAL KOMBAT IS NO MORE REAL THAN WILE E. COYOTE RUNNING OFF A CLIFF AND GOING "POOF!" 5000 FEET BELOW. IF IT'S NOT REAL, IT'S NOT VIOLENT.
GET A LIFE.
Red Ronin, The Cybernetic Samurai
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 20:19:40 GMT
People in todays society need to relax, its only a game. If parents are gonna make such a fess about it, don't by your kid the game, plane and simple. Remember, we were all kids once.
C.R., The University of Rhode Island
"#1 Party School in America"
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 16:19:04 GMT
Agree: We NEED Violence in video games :::::: ;-)
In order for the children of the world to understand what's going on, we need plenty of violence, blood, guts, gore and internal and external body parts.
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 18:12:12 GMT
More: Devil`s Advocate
Did you really think you were going to get an argument from anybody who reads this board? Well just for the hell of it....
1. Just because animated violence isn`t real doesn`t mean it isn`t a portrayal of violence, or violent acts. It in itself isn`t violent, but that is just symantics. The point is, the game depicts violent actions. Obviously the more realistic the graphics, the better the depiction, the more "violent" the game is. Would you say that animated sex was not pornography?
2. Did you mention weather or not you had kids of your own? I myself do not, but I've noticed that only people who don't have kids tend to be the most vocal on how to raise them. I'm sure parents would like to know that there is a "safe" place to let their kids wander around in without having to watch every second. Apparantely they assumed that TV and video games were such a place. Go figure.
3. Just a comment on your reference to living in a world of` morons. If the world you live in is being controlled by people you consider to be morons, what does that say about you?
4. I don't think anyone is saying that there is no place for sex and violence as a form of adult entertainment (there's nothing I like better than chopping someone`s head off in Weaponlord). What the problem is, is how do you define an adult, and how do you separate adult entertainment from children`s. I don't think TV and video game systems are inherently only for children's entertainment. I also don`t believe adults should have to pay any sort of fee to use those media for adult entertainment. How about what's already out there, cable boxes with channel gaurds and a rating system for video games.
5. The opinions expressed herein are my own and those of any other rational free thinking human being.
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 16:40:03 GMT
Feedback: Dearest Nameless Devil...
Dearest Nameless Devil,
For your consideration:
1. The point of writing about VIOLENCE IN VIDEO GAMES was to point out precisely that a PORTRAYAL of violence is NOT the same as VIOLENCE itself. When a person decides to condemn a work of art for imitating or closely approximating, but not actually being REAL, they are being very illogical. I don't remember mentioning SEX in my previous article that is a tale for another time.
2. No, I didn't mention whether or not I am a parent, because I felt the common sense of my position would be enough to support it without being prudish. I did say that I am 28 years old, an adult last time I looked, so as to give some validity to my position. For your information I AM A PARENT. I have a SON, MYLES. He is two years old and doesn't play video games yet. By the time he does, however, I can assure you that he will know the difference between FANTASY and REALITY.
3. About MORONS.
Look, I really enjoy watching THE SIMPSONS on television. I find the show very entertaining because it shows just how MORONIC different people may be in everyday life. The greatest praise the creators of the show have received has been in the form of MORONS trying to get it canceled.
To me, a MORON is a person who cannot come to rational conclusions on their own. Most people in the world do not have opinions about any issue that they came up with on their own. Without someone to tell them what to do or think, or an organization to affiliate themselves with, they have no identity or feeling of self worth. When you affiliate yourself with MORONS, you become one yourself.
When a person is told by someone else:
a) that a child's music will make them antisocial
b) that television will make their children unimaginitive
c) that movies with 'violent content' make kids uncontrollable
d) that video games will cause irreversible brain rot
and other ridiculous statements too numerous to name, and believe it all WITHOUT looking around, INVESTIGATING to FIND OUT just how likely it is that those things will happen THEY ARE BEING MORONIC. Hence, I refer to them as MORONS. Educate yourselves people, before jumping to conclusions.
4. On your fourth point, I must agree. The lives of children are controlled by their parents - most of the time. It is the responsibility of those parents to educate and shelter their own children as they see fit. I believe that it is irresponsible to NEVER let your children know about the dark side of humanity.
5. I'm glad that you can come to rational conclusions on YOUR own. THAT is a very good sign that you ARE NOT and NEVER WILL BE a MORON.
Clatu Verata Nicto,
Red Ronin, The Cybernetic Samurai
Home | Games | Editorials | Pictures | Archive | Links
These pages are Copyright © 1999 by Agronskey D. Hooper
(AKA Red Ronin, The Cybernetic Samurai)
all rights reserved.